Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Hobbit.

I'm no movie critic, but I thought I'd give you my 2 cents.
I  thought it was so well done.
Having seen it 2x, I am just impressed by it all.


I was surprised how entertained I was.
I was on the edge of my seat anxious, and frightened, and laughing,

I was worried that because the movie was so long,
and they are stretching the book so thin I was going to be bored.
I never found myself saying "when's this part going to end"
Everything seemed so well thought out and connected.

There was that one part, after they have left rivendale, and are walking along the mountains edge?
I didn't understand the "thunder fight."
But I figured it was one of those things, that for those who had read the book,
would have been upset if it was excluded.
And it's 5 minutes compared to the movies 3 hours, was not a big deal.

Dating a film major has helped me appreciate
all the work that goes on, on the other side of the screen.

There's a scene when all the dwarfs and Gandalf have gathered at Bilbo's home,
and Gandalf is standing in an area between a pantry and the dining room.
I was so impressed how well the brought everything to scale.
Gandalf was hitting his head on the ceiling while the dwarves looked half his size.
At first I was like "wow that's some really good green screen work"
then a dwarf hands Gandalf a drink...and he takes it...and I said what the?
Film is magic. It's so ridiculous.
All the scale doubles, and different angles, and tricks they used to help
you believe that Bilbo was the size of a child,
and that these average sized men were riding mini horses...
and holy cow. it's amazing.


I watched the Lord of the Rings last week to get ready?
I now openly admit I'm the biggest nerd.
I never thought I could casually talk about a wizard mending the grudgeful relationships
of dwarves and elves while also leading them back to their home land
previously taken over by a fire breathing gold coveting dragon.
Ben would be proud.

ANYWAYS.....
If you like Lord of the Rings, you'll love this movie, and have probably already seen it.
anyways, if you read this whole thing? props.

and......go see the movie.


xo, rach

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I came across your blog through pinterest and have become instantly hooked! I love it! I've been thinking about watching this but I did not read the book nor have I watched the Lord of the Rings. Is it necessary to do this before watching The Hobbit? Your post has made me want to see it. Thanks in advance! :)

    xoxo,
    Monica
    www.lovemonicasofia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much monica! You're so sweet!
      You totally made my day! :)
      It is not necessary to read the book before the movie!
      I understood it all just fine :)
      I hope you like it!!

      Delete

Insert clever &/or gracious response here.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...