DIY: BOOK STACK NECKLACE
I first saw it via anthropolgie. Then I saw it all over the interweb and I couldn't help but try and make one myself.
*side note: i'm still not great at diy's, sometimes I add in extra materials, lose materials, and forget to photograph along the way so bear with me :)
-An old disposable book
-Three different colors of leather
-A necklace chain
-A necklace clasp
-A pointy thingy..(the one with the red handle, i found it in my daddy's tool box!)
1. Cut your leather into rectangles (I used some leather cases for glasses I found at the D.I. at 75 cents each)
2. Measure your leather on the book pages and cut them out, then fold them in half.
4. Layer your pages individually rather than one folded in another.
5. Bring all the pages to an even surface and then bind them with masking tape
(I used clear tape, and it doesn't stick to the super glue very well so i reccomend masking.)
( I also super glued some pages together, so it wasn't so open looking...)
7. Let them dry underneath a heavy book, I used the host. :)
9. Poke through the leather and first couple of pages with a sharp pokey thing so your pin can have a place to start, then push the pin all the way through
10. This is where things get a bit crazy so bear with me. I bought some certain pin things to ultimitaley hold the books together, of course I couldn't find them anywhere. I used some extra earring hooks instead.
I simply flattened out a hook and guided it through the hole I made with the pin.
Sadly the hook was not long enough to go through all three books so I took my pliers and made my own loop from the bottom of the earring hook, and hooked it to the top of another earring hook...you got all that?
Then to hold it all in, i just bent the bottom of the second hook all crazy like. :)
That step is as easy as prying open the chain links and closing them.
AND DONE :)
Don't mind my hair, I know its the craziest.